The parking sensor in your BMW is a sensor that assists you in seeing everything as you look through the rearview mirror. It is commonly known as “parking aid.” It is made up of ultrasonic sensors, displays, and controllers. It works by sound or sometimes by an intuitive display.
The parking sensor is installed at the back of your car (the rear bumper), and it makes use of the ultrasonic waves principle. When you change your gear to Reverse, the sensor detects any obstacle around with the use of ultrasonic waves, and if there is an obstacle, it reflects the ultrasonic waves and calculates the distance between the obstacle and the car. If the distance is too close, the sensor will alert the driver to stop.
Below are some of the functions of the parking sensors in your BMW.
- When you shift your gear to reverse, the sensors will produce a sound that will tell how close you are to an obstacle. The louder the sound, the closer your car is. So you will know when you should stop the car.
- The sensors can also detect objects using ultrasonic waves. The sensors send out waves and then wait for the wave to return. It then measures the time it took the wave to return to calculate the distance of the object.
- The parking sensors have a display in the form of bars that tells you how close your car is to an object. If most of the bars are lit up, it means your car is closer to the object.
Causes of Parking Sensor Failure In BMW
Generally, the parking sensors in the BMW are very reliable and do not fail easily. However, due to some reasons, it may not work as it should. Some of these reasons are:
- Dirt: As you use your car over time, grime and dirt may accumulate on the parking sensors causing difficulties in detecting obstacles around the car. Cleaning the sensors with a dry, soft cloth can help solve this problem.
- Damaged Wiring: If there is a problem with the wiring of your BMW, it will affect the parking sensors. A professional BMW technician will assess your car and determine if it has wiring issues.
- Wear: Over time, the sensors may wear out due to constant use, and they may not be able to function properly as they should. The sensors can easily be replaced if this is the cause.
- Tear in the membrane (the sound source): This will prevent the sensors from producing the warning sign. It can be fixed by changing the membrane.
- Module failure: If moisture enters inside the sensors, it will cause them to malfunction. This issue can be detected by traces of salt or water on the microcircuit of the device.
How to Repair a Parking Sensor
BMW parking sensors are a vital part of the vehicle’s safety system, and they should be repaired promptly if they become damaged. Our mechanics are highly trained and experienced in BMW repairs, and they will be able to quickly diagnose the problem and find the best solution.
In most cases, the parking sensor can be repaired without needing to replace the entire unit. We will test the parking sensor to ensure that it is working correctly before returning the BMW to you. If you have any questions about our BMW repair process, please do not hesitate to ask. We are always happy to help.
If you suspect that the parking sensors in your BMW are not functioning properly, you need to visit an expert in fixing BMW cars. If you are near San Diego, CA, visit Dieter’s Porsche & BMW Service, your European vehicle experts.
Visit the BMW Experts at Dieter’s Motorsports
We take great pride in ensuring that our clients are satisfied when they come to our shop. To ensure their satisfaction, we provide a free shuttle service, our waiting room is very comfortable with a free internet connection, and we provide complimentary drinks.
We are located in San Diego, and we serve residents in Coronado, Chula Vista, Point Loma, and Mission Valley. Give us a call today if you live around those areas and need help with your BMW parking sensors. We are eager to earn your repeat business to keep your car safely on the road and performing at peak performance condition.